If you lead a very active lifestyle, you may be wondering what the best gemstone or diamond is for your engagement ring. You will want to ensure that you choose an engagement ring that is tough, and can withstand everyday wear. In addition, you will want one that does not scratch easily, is highly rated on the Mohs scale and is easy to clean. You may be wondering if you should choose a natural diamond or a moissanite stone for your active lifestyle; if so, we have got you covered. In this blog we will look at the difference between a Moissanite engagement ring and a diamond engagement ring and the pros and cons of each stone as it is related to those with active lifestyles.
Moissanite Engagement Ring
For many people, shifting to the use of Moissanite stones in all pieces of their jewelry makes the most sense for many reasons, and this is no different for those looking for engagement rings. Choosing to purchase a Moissanite diamond ring not only comes with many benefits, but also makes the most sense to a lot of people who are constantly on the go. Most people who purchase a Moissanite ring are generally purchasing lab created diamonds, as natural Moissanite is extremely rare and hard to come by. For a better understanding, Moissanite is made up of silicon carbide, is a naturally occurring mineral which was discovered many years ago, and can now be created within the lab to make beautiful pieces of ethical jewelry. Moissanite engagement rings are not to be confused with cubic zirconia engagement rings, because although they are both man made, they are very different in terms of their property and longevity. Moissanite rings are the perfect option for those looking for an engagement ring which will fit in perfectly with their active lifestyle.
While there are pros and cons to using Moissanite stones in engagement rings specifically for those that lead active lifestyles, in this blog we will cover the top three of both.
- Cost Efficient: A big selling point for many active couples to choose Moissanite gems over a real diamond is that they are more cost effective. This is not only a great way to save some money, but also won't leave active couples upset if something should happen to the ring and/or gemstones.
- They Are Durable: Another selling feature of Moissanite jewelry is that this gemstone is extremely durable, making it the perfect option for those who are constantly on the go and may be going through a lot of wear and tear. Beyond this, a Moissanite stone rates extremely high on the Mohs scale of hardness, just behind diamonds making it perfect for everyday wear and tear.
- They Will Last Forever: One thing rings true when it comes to Moissanite gemstones: they will last a lifetime. Unlike cubic zirconia which becomes cloudy and scratched over time, Moissanite will keep its clarity and look as beautiful as the day you got it, making it the perfect ring for those who are always on the go.
- The Sparkle May Not be for Everyone: As Moissanite has a very high refractive index, it sparkles and shines brightly whenever light hits the gemstone. Although beautiful, individuals who frequently camp or travel may not want a ring that draws attention to the gemstones.
- It Could Be Harder to Find a Jeweler: If you are constantly on the go, it is important to remember that not all jewelers are equipped to work on lab created diamonds. This could pose a problem if you are away from your regular jeweller and run into a situation where you need your ring fixed or worked on.
- Opinions May be Mixed: Although many people are moving away from this mentality, some people may see the choice of a lab-created diamond over a real diamond as "bold" or out of the norm. If you lead an active lifestyle, be prepared to answer any questions or comments people may have.
Natural Diamond Engagement Ring
If you are looking at including natural diamonds in your engagement ring, it is important to understand what exactly makes diamonds so special and unique. Mined diamonds are naturally occurring gemstones which are found beneath the Earth's surface, and require human labor to be extracted. Each gemstone is created using a natural combination of heat and pressure, resulting in beautiful diamonds that are unique to one another; no diamond is or ever will be alike. This has a huge appeal to many couples, as they look for individuality and something special to present to their partner. A beautiful diamond ring or any piece of diamond jewelry is timeless, and makes for a good option for active people who want to continuously wear their engagement ring and not have to worry about damage or everyday wear and tear. Depending on the level of activity your lifestyle leads, many people choose natural diamond engagement rings which have a low setting or simply a flat, diamond encrusted band. Please see below for the pros and cons of a diamond engagement ring.
- They are Strong: The first benefit to utilizing diamond within engagement rings is that this type of gemstone is extremely strong. Presently, they are the hardest gemstone to rank on the Mohs scale of hardness, ranking at a whopping 10 out of 10. Because of their strength and hardness, it makes for a great gemstone for those that are active, as they do not have to worry as much about damaging their gemstone or ring.
- Easy to Clean: Another benefit to utilizing diamonds within engagement rings is that they are very easy to clean, which means less time maintaining the ring, and more time living life.
- They are Stylish: Lastly, diamond engagement rings are classic and timeless. Diamonds will never go out of style, making it the perfect choice for those who want longevity and peace of mind for this special piece of fine jewelry.
- Limited Styles: For those that are very active but want to include natural diamonds in their engagement rings, they will be limited in the styles that are available. Typically, low setting bands are ideal for those who are busy as there is less chance of damage to the ring, therefore, if you choose to include gemstones your style or design options may become more limited.
- Sharp Edges: If a diamond becomes cracked or damaged, it may become sharp which is ideal for those who are constantly on the go.
- Not Damage Resistant: Lastly, diamonds are not damage resistant. Although rare, they can become damaged, loose, chipped or scratched, which may not be ideal for many people who are constantly busy.
If you would like to know more about the Moissanite engagement rings that we carry or help deciding on which gemstone is right for you, please contact us today and we will be happy to help.